MDC-T regalia burnt at a housing cooperative meeting in Harare


An MDC-T member only identified as Mai Adorable was forced by a leader of a housing cooperative to bring her regalia at the meeting which was allegedly burnt in front of the gathering.

According to the Zimbabwe Peace Project on 2 April 2016, at a housing cooperative meeting that took place at Parkridge in Kuwadzana 5 paddocks left many people unhappy after they were not allowed to ask any question at the meeting.

“The chairperson, Tauya Mauka, and members of the committee told people to pay money without any questions. Mauka called a certain woman, one, Mai Adorable, and instructed her to bring her MDC-T regalia at that meeting in front of the people and surrender them. Mai Adorable’s MDC-T regalia were burnt and she was told not to be found on the wrong side again,” reads ZPP report for April.burning-house_

ZPP said from 10-12 April 2016, in Chitungwiza near the Chitungwiza General Hospital, vendors were ordered to remove all their vending stalls due to President Robert Mugabe’s planned visit which was supposed to be on 13 April 2016.

“War veterans and Zanu-PF youths allegedly destroyed structures and threatened people with assault. However, the President did not visit the area as had been expected,” ZPP said.

“On 14 April 2016, after the MDC-T demonstration in the capital some MDC-T youths from Kambuzuma went beer drinking at the suburb’s Section 3. While there, one, Brighton Jim and a ward secretary identified as Energy Mafika started accusing each other of being interested in becoming the next elective councillor for Ward 14. The altercation got heated and there was shoving of each other back and forth. The two were restrained by another party member.”

The organisation said on 18 April 2016, vendors in Mbare Musika were ordered to close their markets and attend Independence Day celebrations. It said the vendors were ferried by buses to the venue at the National Sports Stadium.

“On 18 April 2016 at Independence Day celebrations ceremony at the National Sports Stadium, Patson Dzamara – a brother to Itai Dzamara who was abducted on 9 March 2016 from his neighbourhood in Glen View and has been missing since – was beaten up by state agents for demonstrating in front of the VIP tent,” reported ZPP.

“He was protesting his brother’s disappearance. Dzamara was allegedly forced to drink lots of water, made to kneel in an uncomfortable position, assaulted with booted feet and fists and later interrogated at Harare Police Station. He was later admitted into hospital but was
released on the same day.

On 27 April 2016, Zanu-PF party officials in Epworth reportedly had a quarrel over documents which the chairperson had gone to collect from the province. They ended up fighting in the streets but no arrests were made. These papers are for an exercise which is set to start soon ‘Simukayi tiwerengane’, where party affiliations would have to be declared.